Date(s) - 4 Apr 2020
2:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Learn that raw food can be not only healthy but totally delicious with this creative short course with Peggy Beer from Eldertree, a local business specialising in fermented and raw foods. We will make some fabulous raw sweet dishes and then share the joy of eating them together!
Foods are classified as raw if the heating temperature does not exceed 45C, as it does not destroy the enzymes in the food.
You will learn how to prepare plant based raw food with fresh foods (some will be slightly warmed up). We will aim to use local and organic ingredients where possible.
Whether you are interested in a completely raw diet or just want to get to know a different way to be creative with food, this workshop teaches you how to prepare plant based raw desserts, which will be prepared together and eaten together.
We will make:
- Raw Chocolate Cake – a lovely nutty and slightly sweet base combined with a deliciously creamy dark chocolate ganache.
- Strawberry Cheese Cake – a nut base topped with a creamy Cashew Cheese Cake layer, finished off with a fresh Strawberry Fruit Layer.
- Carrot Cake – fresh carrots prepared very differently to how most people would eat them! Another sweet cake without refined sugars with a surprisingly similar flavour to its baked counterpart.
- Energy balls – a high energy dried fruit snack shaped into a ball. With a hint of orange flavour.
* ingredients may vary slightly according to availability
Peggy will give a short introduction about the backgrounds of a raw diet and then get straight into the practical elements. Please bring your own knife, chopping board and scales. Peggy will provide all the ingredients. Some parts of the meal will be pre-prepared with a dehydrator. The recipes and full instructions will be provided as hand-outs from the tutor, to take home.
For food allergies please contact Peggy beforehand and she will try and accommodate your requests.
A raw food diet is low in calories and high in fibre helping with weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Raw foodists have reported that eating a high proportion of raw food makes them feel healthier and boosts energy levels. The high levels of fresh nutrients that are preserved allow the body to prevent and fight diseases, improve digestion and make for a healthy looking skin.