Date(s) - 22 Jun 2019
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
On this one day Summer workshop you will burn a Pyrography Butterfly on a light wooden plaque, to hang keys on the wall, or give as a present.
We will be using sophisticated pyrography machines to create professional results, learning how to burn lines of different thicknesses and shading effects safely.
Stencils of Butterflies will be provided, feel free to bring your own pictures too, as they may be suitable for the medium. Even as a beginner you can create a beautiful piece, and will be guided through each stage with demonstrations.
Colour and varnish can be added later in the afternoon, and key hooks screwed on, to convert to a practical purpose.
Part 1 – safety / operation / effects and practice.
- Intro and examples of my work showing different techniques:
- Stippling, thick / thin lines / shading gradients
- Nibs – Different pens/machine types (basic or more sophisticated)
- Guided Exercise – Everyone write their name/freestyle different lines on a blank with different nibs.
- Look at changing nibs on pens. – worksheet summarising technical aspects and safety.
Part 2 -Project – Plan and Burn
Trace a stencil of butterfly, line outline first, then plan with pencil only the sections, shading aspects/effects – and colour. Any other elements can be penciled on. Burn at least outline then … LUNCH
- Finish burn and shade in.
- Acrylic colour – block colour sections for impact, or use washes for subtlety.
- Quick dry vanish, and add hooks to screw in to make plaque into key hook if desired.
- Extension project ..Hoping most will get to try a few other doodles ..
- hanging beech discs and blanks provided of different types of wood – move on to try harder solid wood and see difference in technique required.
H&S – If you are very smoke sensitive you will not enjoy this workshop, or anyone with Eye, Asthma or other lung condition, although room will be well ventilated.
Most equipment and Materials are provided – for a small charge of £5. (machines, wood, varnish, acrylic, key hooks, dust mask)
Starter kits for those wishing to take the hobby further will be available to order.
Please Bring: A pencil, a rubber, fine paintbrush, clear goggles/eye protection if desired, and a jumper/wrap if its a cold day as we will have windows open for some of it. Claire will provide some acrylic paints and varnish, but please feel free to bring your own paints too.
Other types of wood will be available eg. blanks and bark rimmed discs with hanging string or ribbon, for extra projects.
Claire Bennett is a local artist specialising in Pyrography – the Ancient Art of burning wood. Originally done using pokers, we now have electrical equipment with a range of different techniques and effects available. Good effects without good equipment and planning, can be hard to achieve, so I use a quality machine with different wire nibs to get fine detail. I have been practising pyrography full time for several years, and sell a variety of wooden products online and at various local craft events up and down the welsh coast.
Workshop Fee: £38 per person
NB. There is an additional £5 per person for materials, to be paid in cash on the day.